The 8th dentist in his family, Dr. Joe Safirstein became an orthodontic assistant at the age of 12 working in his father’s orthodontic practice. He taught at the OHSU Department of Orthodontics and is a past president of the Oregon State Society of Orthodontists, and OHSU Orthodontic Alumni Association.
Dr. Joe attended the University of Florida, where he studied history. (Fun Fact #1: That’s also where he became a SCUBA instructor.) He earned his dental degree with highest honors at the University of Tennessee. (Fun Fact #2: That’s also where he learned to love BBQ.) When he’s not in the office, he’s probably camping or cooking on the smoker in the backyard. He completed his orthodontic residency at OHSU in 2001.
Dr. Joe is happily married to Dr. Lauren, an orthodontist in Hillsboro. Dr. Joe’s kids grew up in NE Portland. Their youngest son Jack loves visits from his grown brother Jake and sister, Sam.
Dr. Joe’s Credentials:
- Diplomate American Board of Orthodontics
- Member of Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists
- Past President, Oregon State Society of Orthodontists
- Past President OHSU Orthodontic Alumni Association
- Past Attending Faculty OHSU Department of Orthodontics
- Member of the American Association of Orthodontists